Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Shout out!!!

Well, I guess part of the fun of having a blog in the complete control I have over it. I would like to throw a shout out to Zatoichi for being my number one (and only) fan.
The Spring Semester has begun, and I have been swamped. I did hire two new student workers, one of which is working out fantastically. The other hire has yet to begin due to the slow process of processing his social security number, but I look forward to him starting this week.
There have been many challenges as the semester begins. The circulation desk is short one computer, that we are still waiting for repairs on. This has slowed our ability to serve students being that most all transactions are computerized. We have had enough people working, but it has been difficult as the student workers must maneuver around each other to get to the working computers.
Also, the reality of managing the libraries Reserve collection has hit. Many instructors do not plan ahead to have readings available for their students by the first week of class. Then, as they do request items to be placed on Reserve, they expect that they will be available immediately. I do not comprehend the thought process involved in their course planning. As a teacher myself, I make certain that my materials are prepared beforehand in order to provide the best learning environment possible and ensure that my students have the tools necessary to succeed. Well, due to this lack of preparation, I have been placed in emergency mode, processing and preparing reserve materials throughout the day. This leaves very little time for my other duties, but as we hire a new library tech., my responsibilities in this area will be alleviated as I train the tech to handle this.
I have also started teaching LIB 10A again this semester and am very happy with how the final projects turned out last semester. I have made some changes that will improve this semester's crop I hope. To view the projects, go to Library 10A Wiki, and click the different links in the sidebar. Some students may have removed their work, but hopefully some have remained.
Well, adios bibliotecarios

1 comment:

Amy Keenan Amago said...

We appreciate the shout out, New Librarian. Keep writing. The fans will come.

The wiki from last semester looks great. Your students put together some nice projects.

Do you do Library Thing?